Tuesday, February 16, 2010

THE MEANING OF IT ALL

Today I had the privilege of meeting with one of our Canadian bobsledders. It’s a gal that is a neat Christian and we originally met when she first moved to Alberta and was participating in a “Right to Play” charity event. Today we were both contemplating the opportunity to be at the Olympics and be in the Athlete Village. Our conclusion was that though it is indeed pretty cool (for her...) To be an Olympian, it’s still just another competition, the village, another gathering of athletes and if your life is only aimed at attaining this goal, then you’re going to be disappointed.

I remembered my very first Olympic chaplaincy in Japan in “98. Earlier that year I’d met a Latvian Bobsled coach at a world cup in Calgary. At the time I didn’t know he was a Christian. It’s no wonder that he was so open to my giving his entire team a copy of the “Jesus” video. While in Nagano he came into the religious centre and told me his story. He said that prior to his first Olympics as an athlete he’d dedicated 17 years of his life to becoming an Olympian. When he finally attained his goal he observed that “it was the same sleds, competing on the same track with just a few more spectators (actually, a lot more spectators!)”. The developing emptiness in his soul prompted him to embark on a spiritual quest. In the end he found the forgiveness and relationship that only Jesus can offer.

I know that similar experiences are going on in many lives of world class athletes all around me. Please pray for them and that God would connect us!

2 comments:

  1. I'm praying for you Steve and the other chaplains that the Lord would connect you to those who are needy and open to hearing the Good News of Jesus. Thank you for your faithful service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, how are you!?!?! Caught that you were at the games through Carl Dampman's blog! Wish I had known earlier as I was there all last week. I pray you and the fam are doing well. Love to connect sometime soon. Many blessings.
    Paul Huggins
    paulh@athletesinaction.com

    ReplyDelete